Monday, June 16, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance Season 4 Top 20

I feel so exhausted today. Slept 2 hours last night. I shall explain why in another post coming up shortly, but as of right now, I'm obliged to blog about the Top 20 Performance show of So You Think You Can Dance Season 4.

That's right. Season 4. Channel 5 always lags a full year for SYTYCD. It's almost like it's mocking us or something. Anyway, although I'm definitely looking forward to watching Season 3's (awesome) choreography and dancing on the big (ass) TV screen instead of the lousy Youtube window, I'm much much much more excited about Season 4. ... Basically because I have watched Season 3 and 2 dances ad nauseum online and crave for more SYTYCD! But also because new season brings in a new batch of dancers to watch, to enjoy and to drool over (Sara! Danny! Pasha! Dom! Sabra! Neil! And so on and so forth!)

Without a question, I'm a big fan of the show. Because it's just pure entertainment. Loads of true talent, so many fresh personalities and relationship dynamics, choreography by renowned choreographers, real criticism (sometimes.. better than AI at least) and not forgetting fabulous dancing week in week out. And having a gorgeous excellent and botox-free host dosen't hurt at all. :) Dancers, I realised, by default have great bodies because of the movements they have to make, are mostly good-looking because dance innately appeals to the eyes hence appearance of the dancer is therefore very important and lastly have quirky and unique personalities different from that of the rest of the population. That's what makes this show so cool. What makes this the most watched FOX Summer TV show ever since Season 2.

Season 4 started on FOX in the US of A a few weeks ago. And on Wednesday it was the Top 20 performance! Thanks to Youtube and TiVo, I was able to catch it hours after the show ended. :D Quality sucks though. Here, I'm just going to briefly mention the routines (I don't take notes while watching them... not like SOME ppl) and talk more on my favourites!

I may be making some mistakes on the names though. Everybody, please be ready for some really creative spelt names. Yes, it's even worse than previous seasons (Jaymes, Ashle, Ashlee..) and this season, there are 2 Chelseas and 2 Courtneys. Chelsea and Chelsie, Koutni and Courtney. Thayne, Rayven, Twitch, Katee, Marquis, Comfort, Kherington and many more. They seem like a whole lot of random guys and girls that didn't have much airtime in auditions and Vegas week. Really bad editing. It's like going into the show with a handicapp and few particular people with really severe ones. Katee, who said something that was misunderstood, Chris for having the personality of a tree, Gev, for supposedly taking Brandon's place and Kherington, for being a soccer player who dances. Plus, this year there are sooooooo many contemporary guys! Where's the hot sexy Russian ballroom dude? There's only Jamie, who coincidentally is Lacey Schwimmer's dance partner (some ppl
just can't stand the Schwimmer connection. Nepotism they say). Anyway, too many comtemps makes ballroom weird. They need time to adjust to the partner thing or end up like Danny - having great technique and lines but lousy partnering skills, making their partner work so much more.

I've blabbed enough I think. On to the show and my favourites! The best routine, most undoubtly came from Katee and Joshua, the eighth couple to perform.

Who knew the first goosebumps/chills and almost tears of the season came from a Hip Hop routine!



I have a sneaky suspicion that NappyTabs (Napoleon and Tabitha) actually did a Contempary routine done to Hiphop moves. Were they trying to help Katie by making the last part of the dance almost into a Contemp. routine? I say they didn't need to cos Katie was just fine all on her own. Granted, her steps were stiff and sometimes she wasn't hitting hard enough but what she lacked in technique was made up with her ability to emote and her brilliant performance. I just don't like her lipstick color though. Joshua was just fab. FAB. And he's such a big softie! :D Plus, when they dance together, they're totally emoting on the same level and what Katee lacks in technique is made up for by Joshua's SUPERB popping. I loved the part where she wrentched him up from the ground. Joshua did great coming up but without Katee acting it out it wouldn't have been so good. The concept was great, choreo was well done and the dancers took it up another level. Absolutely best routine of the night. Katee and Josh are so not going home. Soft hiphop HURRAY! :D And I've become a freshly minted fan of NappyTabs! Take that Shane Sparks! Ha!

I kinda disagree with Nigel on the ribcage shift/chest pop thing. I thought the ribcage shift was what she was actually supposed to do ie part of the choreography, like ripping her heart out or something. If it was a chest pop, she would have done it properly; didn't you see her pop moves in the other parts of the routine? Anyway, heavy chest pop would have been a bit weird here. Gosh, I'm starting to hate the main jidges already. They just seem so much more obnoxious and self-assuming than other seasons. And less sincere. Mary was holding such an obvious bias torch against Katee, most likely for what she said in Vegas. Which she was misunderstood for - another example of the judges jumping too quickly to conclusions. I feel so sorry for her and all the unfair unjustified flak, though didn't feel much love either cos I've never seen her dance properly until yesterday. I think only Dan was making sense the whole night - the others are either too lenient or weirdly strict/bias. Love Dan! He's impartial, expresses his points well and in a succint manner for the audience. Not really fond of his choreography though.

Ok, I'm babbling again. You can view all of the routines under the same Youtube user in the video above. I thought Twitch and Kherington's (Or Twitchington as they call themselves) Broadway was pretty good, Mark and Chelsie's Contemporary was intriguing too. Mia Micheals has done it again! Tim Burton's wedding indeed. ChelsEA and Thayne's Cha-Cha was not bad but all the other routines were either average or had one crucial element that made me dislike them. Though the personality of the night award definitely goes to Comfort! She's so hilarious! :D She has the quote of the night:

"You ain't never seen me in no bra and panties and beeeeeads!"

And her partner Chris ain't doin so bad either.

"No more tree. No more tree. I'm not a tree, everybody!"

Lol Chris. But I think, dear mr ruddy cheeks, that you still have a long way to go and it's hard to not be a tree next to someone like Comfort. Good luck.

On to the results show. Keeping it simple, Jamie and Rayven got cut.They danced a slightly cotton candy tasteless hiphop routine chereographed by Nappytabs. :O Oh well, I didn't really like them anyways. Too much acting out their personality and mugging to the camera. I got irritated of them in the video pakage already I dunno why.

I think this post is ridiculously long. I have no gift for succintness AT ALL. Gah. Anyway, everyone please watch SYTYCD Season 4 on Youtube every Thursday night (a few users post full episodes a few hours after broadcast) and Season 3 every Monday night on Channel 5 - it's fabulous. I garunteen you this is a really entertaining show and you won't waste your time watching it.

0 comments: