
First up, we have Revolutionary Road. A movie many people anticipate because it reunites Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet for the first time since Titanic. Remember? They starred in the most money-making movie of all time. :O Yes. All time. 10 years later, they're back with this project directed by Oscar winning Sam Mendes (Winslet's husband) of American Beauty fame. The movie is an adaptation of the New York Times bestselling novel by Richard Yates, tells the story about a married couple in 1950s America who lives in suburbia. It's a really emotionally complex story -- those that you can chew on for days to come. I got scared watching the trailer. Not because it was, like, scary, but the context and plot of the movie frightened me. A lot. Of how it can go wrong so easily. Which is why I will definitely catch it when it opens in December.
A warning to all LeoKate fans -- this is going to be a freaking far cry from Titanic and anyone expecting this to be a continuation of the 'What if Jack didn't die" will be sorely disappointed. Firstly, the time continuum is wrong. Film takes place in the 1950s. Jack died in 1912. Duh. And the story is absolutely different. Read: dysfunctional suburban couple. So yeah. Highly recommend to watch it still because it could very well snag up lots of Oscar nominations.

And then, there's Valkyrie, a WWII epic (?) starring Tom Cruise, Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy. Film's basically a real story about a group of high-ranking Nazi officers plotting to assassinate Adolf Hitler during the height of WWII. Of course we knew he was unsuccessful, duh, but it's interesting how it went because we seldom have movies that are shot from inside the German Reich. Usually it's all from the Allied point of view. I'm not very impressed with Tom Cruise lately but it could be extremely awesome here if he nails this one. Question: Why must most movies he stars in have his face as the only face on the poster? Think Vanilla Sky, MI123, Last Samurai, Collateral... yaddayadda.
The trailer looks like helluva movie though. Bryan Singer directs! Apparently, there was some conflict with the German government on the filming in actual locations and using swastikas (which are currently banned in Germany). Shrugs. I'm going to catch it anyway. Love these war blockbusters.
There's also that film, Australia, with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman. Basically a big-ass 1930s love story set in ... I don't even need to say it out loud. Directed by Baz Luhrmann, it's going to be a spectacle for the eyes. And Hugh Jackman! I'm swooning already. Expect a whole lot from this because two awesome Australian actors = Australia represent. I'm hoping it'd be like "Out of Africa".
Rugged FTW.No movie poster though cos Jackman is good enough for everything. :D Ok fine, IMDB didn't let me grab any and no official posters are uploaded yet.
James Bond movie ahoy! Quantum of Solace. It's Daniel Craig as James Bond. 'Nuff said. I haven't read the novels by Ian Fleming yet though... should get round to it soon.
Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett reunite too in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I'll actually not say anything here because it won't do the concept of this movie any justice. Watch the trailer instead. I got goosebumped by it. Imagine if it was for real.... that would be so freaky.
James Bond movie ahoy! Quantum of Solace. It's Daniel Craig as James Bond. 'Nuff said. I haven't read the novels by Ian Fleming yet though... should get round to it soon.
Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett reunite too in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I'll actually not say anything here because it won't do the concept of this movie any justice. Watch the trailer instead. I got goosebumped by it. Imagine if it was for real.... that would be so freaky.
A movie I really wanna watch is Mama Mia!. Which is out already! Caught the theater version when it came to Singapore some years ago and kind of loved it so definitely will catch this one. Basically, it's a huge ball of romantic fluff rightly touted as the "feel good movie of the year" by several newsgroups. Word. Looking forward to Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth and gang doing their thing.
And last but not least -- The Duchess. Which has opened in cinemas already too. The film is about the life of (the real) Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire (played by Keira Knightley). Funnily, she seemed to have many uncanny parallels with Lady Diana's life. Not just in the events, but also in personality and milestones of their lives. It doesn't diminish the appeal when you learn that Lady Georgiana is, in fact, an ancestor of Lady Diana. Whoosh! Talk about comparisons. Going to watch this one just for the kicks.
Of course, these are not all the (good) movies coming out this fall. Lots of awesome stuff in the cinemas. Just that these are the ones I've read about and wanna watch. I also wanna watch the following movies releasing later, ie without trailers still.
1. Twilight (inner fangirl going :D I haven't read the latest book though so don't spoil me! There are many trailers here actually. Too lazy to post them all lol. Trap you say!)
2. Max Payne adaptation (Max = Mark Wahlberg makes me cringe)
3. Defiance (Haven't really read much but Daniel Craig's in it. Pretty big shot WWII movie. Oscar material)
4. The Reader (starring Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes in an adaptation of the novel by Bernhard Schlink. WWII film. More Oscar material. Again.)
5. Righteous Kill (where Robert De Niro + Al Pacino!!)
6. W (Chronicles George W. Bush's life from his Yale days through the Iraq War. Just for the kicks too.)
7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (it was supposed to be released this November but postphoned to next year. Grumbles, so we all have to wait. -.-)
There are much much more actually. Appaloosa, Changeling, Body of Lies. Much anticipation. Except for HSM 3 though. I can't believe the tween industry is so freaking huge and sustainable.
In case you were wondering whether 'Fall 2008:" is going to be a series of posts ... nah. I just thought the title was cool lol. Ah wells, wtheck. I did this whole thing for fun anyway. Mid-terms and term papers suffocating me to death!

0 comments:
Post a Comment