Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Twilight

I'm not exactly a crazy fan of the series (nor of Cedric Diggory Robert Pattison), nor am I one of those trolls going around aimlessly hating the books (and Robert Pattison). Yes, I have read the books and well, think they're alright actually. A little close to mediocre but still passable, though, I don't really get what the hype is about.
So I accompanied a friend to catch 'Twilight' recently and to find out once and for all what the huge fuss was about. Not surprisingly, it turned out to be sorely dissapointing, ie, movie letting the book down, IMO.

Seriously, unless you're a raging fangirl, think twice about spending money on this movie. The trailer-making for this movie must a peice of cake because everything that's interesting or significant plays for a total of 5-10 minutes. In times of Economic crisis, such as now, please save your cash and just watch the trailer. Seriously. That's all there is to the movie.

Now I shall save you some time, in addition to the saved money by presenting a very succint yet comprehensive summary of 'Twilight' the movie. Courtesy of Chira-chira, one of my favourite fandom artists. All that happened in the movie was...




Yes, that's all the happened. Serious. Bella's actress was so grossly unengaging I was wondering how she earned her pay. She had as many expressions as Edward/Robert Pattison. And that's saying something. Granted, it's a hard character to play but still, please show some emotional depth! Not just frown when you're thinking, frown when you're angry, frown when you're curious, frown when you're whatever. Bah.

And Mr. Pattison's not exactly a good actor. I'm sure scowling and looking fierce is not all that vamps do. Didn't feel darling Edward's character fleshed out. At all. The guy's just some lucky dude chosen to embody Edward and become his representative on Earth. I mean, yeah from some angles he does look cute, but overall, he's looks a lot like this.





The whole thing reminds me of Eragon the movie. Bad adaption of a pretty entertaining book. The change from paper to silver screen is always such a chore and the success rate is quite low. If you want some really good screenplay adaptation, watch the upcomiing "Revolutionary Road" and "The Reader" (both of which I have been pimping non-stop to anyone who cares to listen since they came out in the States), starring Kate Winslet, winner of the Best Supporting and Best Actresss category in the Golden Globes 2009 held just a few days ago. (Oscar for Kate!!!) Other Oscar-worthy films are surging onto Singapore shores in late January and early Febuary, including "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", "Doubt", "Slumdog Millionaire" etc. Waste your money on these movies please, not the incorrigible fan-driven 'Twilight'.



0 comments: